Sunday, May 6, 2018

How To Fight for Joy

Photo Credit:  Roberto Nickson

Is it just me or is there a full blown attack on joy? Sometimes it's blatant and obvious like a looming cloud there to greet you first thing in the morning, and other times it's more of a chipping away. Almost like a series of events that chip away at joy:

  • Scrolling through a series of happy highlights and exciting events on social media at a time when you're feeling lonely, bored or stuck!
  • Looking in the mirror and feeling less than excited with who is looking back at you
  • Disappointments and Unmet desires
  • Hormones (it's a real thing...)
I want you to know that you're not alone. It can most definitely feel that way when you're in the middle of this 'fight' but you are NOT alone. Also, you're not a victim; you don't have to throw up a white flag and allow these feelings to colour your whole day. I want to share my Top Tips in Fighting for Joy (these are not nice-sounding theories they are proven strategies that I use whenever my joy is being shaken...and honey they work! ).


1. Identify your Feeling & the Source 

This may seem like a given but it is so easy to dismiss, surpress or flat out ignore 'negative' feelings in an attempt to not deal with them. I've learnt that emotions are neither good or bad they are indicators. If you properly identify them, they'll give you information about yourself.  When I notice my mood is off or I recognize an underlying feeling of discontentment I immediately have a time-out with myself.
-What's up?
-What am I feeling?
-Why? What triggered this?
-What is it that I'm really wanting/needing?
It's important not to sugar-coat your answers with how you should feel or what you should think. You need to acknowledge the lie/problem before replacing it with truth/solutions.
While I am answering these questions I am also praying to my Heavenly Father and laying it all out to Him. The reason I do this is because 1) He knows anyway and 2) He is able to reveal things in my heart and mind that I may not even be aware of.

2. Fill Up On Truth & Limit Exposure to Triggers

Once I've acknowledged what the real issue is, I can now look at possible solutions. Sometimes that is counteracting lies in my mind about who I am by speaking the truth out loud. The lies I shoot down are anything contrary to what God's word says about me. The power of one's words and thoughts is a whole other blog post but if it interests you check out neuroscientist: Dr Caroline Leaf

Here are some examples of timeless truths that I speak over myself again & again:

3. Create a HAPPY  LIST.

Write a list of things that make you happy, give you energy or help you feel connected with God/Others/& Yourself. Maybe it's dancing, reading a book while wearing a cozy robe, lighting candles, singing softly, driving around while listening to your favourite playlist or immersing yourself in nature. Make room for these things! Sometimes these activities can seem frivolous but I remember reading a quote from Bill Hybels saying that "Recreation is for Re-creating energy", it's important! Find out what fills you up.  It's important to note as well that not every fight is spiritual or due to some deep rooted issue, sometimes you might just need a nap and a quality meal! 

All I know is that you matter. You matter to God. You have purpose and on top of that, Joy is a gift that has already been purchased for you! Joy is also different from Happiness. Happiness is based on happenings but Joy is anchored in what's unchanging. Joy-Hope & Gratitude work in tangent with each other.  My prayer is that your joy may be complete  <3 <3

Love,

Sherina Shantelle
xx






1 comment :