Thursday, March 17, 2016

The Number #1 Lie I Believed about God




Flat out, the number one lie that I believed about God was that "He was witholding  good from me". In other words, I didn't trust that God really  had my back. The longer I live my life the more I realize that the root issue always links back to a lack of trust. I've come along way...but my idea of God use to be so distorted. I honestly believed that life with him would be stifling, that I would feel so confined and restricted that His rules would both frustrate and limit me from experiencing all there was to life! Man I was sooo wrong, I was deceived.





The crazy thing is this isn't anything new! This goes all the way back to the garden of Eden. (Now if youre not a Christian , you don't believe in the bible and everything in you wants to check out at this point.... just humor me for a bit. Suspend your belief...you do it all the time with movies...just hear me out).  In the garden of Eden, at this time everything was perfect there was no fear, no suspicion, the bible described Adam and Even as naked and unashamed (Hello! ...that's another blog post ha!) everything was perfect. It was then that the enemy planted the first seed of mistrust. You can read about it in Genesis 3, the enemy got Eve to believe that the one commandment God put in place was because God didn't really have her best intentions, He was trying to withhold good from her. The enemy deceived her and he continues to do it today providing "illusions of freedom" that actually bring about bondage! Jesus Himself said "the thief comes only to steal, kill and destroy; I have come that they may have LIFE and have it to the FULL" (John 10:10). 

God desires good for His creation. More than that,  because He created us He knows best how we are wired and what we really need. He loves us. He loves you...and He's got the best intentions for you. We've got to trust Him. The thing is it's hard to trust someone you don't know. He invites us to come near. Jesus made a way for us to come back in to relationship with the Father after mistrust and rebellion (sin) separated us from Him. This invitation is for everyone it's not EXCLUSIVE! It's for whosoever will.  Jesus paid the price for everything we've ever done wrong , He took the judgement and the wrath that our sin & rebellion deserved. Now in believing in Him we are forgiven and seen as blameless children of God . That's good news!
That's were the journey starts, a decision to believe and then the amazing thing is on the journey of living for Him, reading His word and listening to His Holy Spirit you discover more and more who He is and both love and trust grow.

The other amazing thing is all those 'rules and restrictions' that I thought were going to choke and hinder me like no sex before marriage, I see them so differently now. Again, God was never trying to hold good back from me...hello! He's the creator He could have made procreation a shaking of hands if he wanted but He didn't GOD CREATED SEX...not Trey Songs, God! (If you don't know who Trey Songs is thats okay...let it go lol)! You protect the things you value and God put's boundaries to protect us.  It's like those lines in the middle of the road, they're there to protect you they actually make you feel safe and they actually bring about freedom.  Another great analogy is that of a KITE. Imagine a kite soaring in the sky enjoying life but then it thinks to itself "this dang rope is limiting me if only I could cut it then I could soar higher".....truth is if that rope was cut, it would come crashing to the ground. That apparent limitation is what actually enables it to soar because that's how it was designed! It's the same with our Heavenly Father eventually we've got to believe that He's got our back and that because He created us He actually knows what's best for us.

Honestly He's so good it overwhelms me. That doesn't mean that everything that happens is good, the enemy is real people, but even on my darkest day I have peace, I have joy, I have hope because He's with me.  Be encourage.....You are loved more than you know. Trust Him!



Isaiah 55:8-9 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways" declares the Lord. As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts".

Psalm 84:11 "For the Lord God is a sun and a shield; the Lord bestows favor and honor; no good thing does he withhold from those whose walk is blameless"

James 1:16-17 "Don't be deceived, my dear brothers and sisters. Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of heavenly lights who does not change like the shifting shadows"

John 10:14 "I [Jesus] am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me."


Revelations 22:17 "The Spirit and the bride [the Church, God's people] say 'Come!' And let the one who hears say, 'Come!' Let the one who is thirsty come; and let the one who wishes take the free gift of the water of life"


You are loved!
xx


2 comments :

  1. Thanks for Sharing. I love how you exposed the lie that we all may have believed about God at some point in our walk. He is so trustworthy and trust in Him has freed me in so many ways. I'm reminded in his promise in Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your path.����

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for Sharing. I love how you exposed the lie that we all may have believed about God at some point in our walk. He is so trustworthy and trust in Him has freed me in so many ways. I'm reminded in his promise in Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your path.����

    ReplyDelete